Monday, February 7, 2011

Spinach and cheddar quesadillas

I've just about used up all of my perishables for the time being and, out of sheer laziness, will probably avoid shopping this week and just get by on what's in the cupboards and freezer.  Last night I couldn't think of another use for the last four flour tortillas or an easier finger food to prepare than quesadillas to nosh on while watching commercials during the Stupid Bowl (yeah, I said it), so away I went. 

By the way, where were all the commercials right around halftime?  It's the only reason some of us tuned in!

four 12" flour tortillas
one 8-ounce block of cheddar cheese, shredded
one 10-ounce package of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of nutmeg

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.

Lay two of the tortillas on cookie sheets or slightly larger sheets of aluminum foil.  Cover each tortilla with about one-third of the shredded cheddar and spread evenly.  Place spinach in a bowl and add salt, pepper and nutmeg, mixing with a fork to pull leaves apart and to evenly distribute the seasoning. 

Mix one-third of shredded cheddar with the spinach, stirring with fork to combine.  Add half of the spinach-cheddar mixture to each of the quesadillas-in-progress, spreading evenly with the fork.  Cover the spinach layer with the remaining cheddar cheese and follow with the remaining tortillas.

Bake for 5 minutes, turn over and bake for 5 more minutes.  Slice using a sharp knife and serve.

***
I somewhat rooted for the Steelers this year, but it was clear where the game was headed even after they scored that touchdown right before halftime.  And speaking of halftime - how tired was it that the Black Eyed Peas only sang two of their so-so songs and then performed good songs by other people in between?  (Was will.i.am covering a receding hairline with the plastic headgear?)  And I hate the thought of Slash having financial troubles that could only be relieved by letting Fergie stand next to him and sing "Sweet Child O' Mine" - like any female vocalist can't pull that one off on karaoke night.  I like her singing and all, but...yeesh.  And I guess it's just as well that I wasn't tuned in when Christina Aguilera, whom I also generally like, botched the national anthem.  Burlesque wasn't even that lame.

On the plus side, the quesadillas were just as tasty and even easier to make than I expected, Steve liked them, and I got to enjoy them again today for lunch!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment