Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Day Part One: Brunch

Good afternoon, and happy Thanksgiving to one and all!

I wasn't hungry when I got up this morning, so Steve and I just lounged over tea and coffee as we often do on weekends and holidays.  However, after an hour or so of housecleaning, I couldn't help but notice that lunchtime was approaching and I still hadn't eaten.

We're not big breakfast people, and things like brunch and Breakfast for Dinner never, ever happen here.  Breakfast beyond hot or cold cereal doesn't even happen for breakfast.  The inspiration for the brunch we ended up having this morning was the "Brunch Village" episode of Portlandia.  In the opening scene, Fred and Carrie are reading in the paper about a new pancake place that serves, among other things, Marionberry pancakes.  (Those of you who are too young to remember can click here to learn more about why that's funny.)  Apparently, soon after the episode first aired, Bobby Flay even got in on the fun.  Anyway, while watching it I found myself thinking, "hey - my name's Marian, I have berries in the freezer and everything else we need to make pancakes.  One of these days I have to make this!"

Marianberry Pancakes

For the pancakes themselves, I used this recipe, ignoring the glaring typo about the baking powder.  For the berry topping, I just thawed a cup and a half of frozen berries (raspberries, blueberries and blackberries), heated them on the stove over medium heat and then added between 1/4 and 1/3 cup of sugar (I eyeballed it) and then let them cook for another 10-15 minutes before reducing the heat until everything else was done.  Once I was ready to start dropping pancake batter into the nonstick pan, I sliced a Tofurky vegan kielbasa and browned it in another pan.  Everything was done at about the same time, and it wasn't as much trouble as I'd expected.  Plus, since we're not big breakfast eaters, Steve and I got to enjoy a smaller "special" meal before the big one to come!

I hope everyone's having a nice Thanksgiving, wherever you are.  Stay tuned to find out what meat- and dairy-free goodness I turn out for Thanksgiving dinner this evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment