Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Big Salad

I used to make this salad all the time, several years back, and settled on this name during a Seinfeld kick.  I never actually saw Elaine eat the "big salad" she liked to order at the diner, but I figured that if it's big, then it must have a lot of stuff on it.  Some of the variations on this salad had grated Parmesan and/or croutons instead of the chick peas, but this version has long been my favorite.  And with all the canned ingredients, half the work is already done!  Here's the per-person recipe I made for Steve and myself the other night (and for myself again last night):

3 oz. fresh spinach leaves, washed and dried
2-3 tbsp Ken's Northern Italian dressing
3 oz. canned corn
2 oz. sliced black olives
1 Roma tomato, diced
4 oz. chick peas
pinch of salt
4-5 turns of fresh ground pepper

Place the spinach leaves on a plate and drizzle with the dressing.  Scatter the corn over the spinach and follow it with the olives, then the tomato, then the chick peas.  Finish with the salt and pepper.

Steve wanted feta cheese on his, so he added, I want to say, about 2 tablespoons.  I didn't, but I might one day.  Maybe if I make Greek dressing instead of using the Italian?

And last night I was lazy and didn't bother chopping the tomato - just rinsed and dried the spinach and then followed with the rest.  This is a very easy recipe to make on a hot day when you want something healthy but not enough to hover over a hot stove.  Since the 10-day forecast says we'll be having more days like this, I'll probably be making this again in the near future...

No comments:

Post a Comment