Wednesday, December 15, 2010

First cookies of the holiday season

I decided to do a little baking mid-afternoon yesterday, since I had the day off from work and today's the day of the big holiday lunch at work.  The day of the gathering is also a nice festive day for bringing in other goodies from home for nearby co-workers to enjoy.  And I never do baked goods at any other time of the year, so I try to make the most of it.  This year's first effort involved what should have been dulce de leche thumbprint cookies.

I don't know...maybe this blogger's Kitchen Aid is able to perform miracles that my lowly hand-held mixer can't, but the first five ingredients were way too crumbly to qualify as cookie dough once they were all "combined."  As a food allergy sufferer, I love the idea of an eggless cookie, but I couldn't help thinking that an egg or two would have softened the rest to where the flour would actually blend like it was supposed to.  With this recipe, nothing doing.  I ended up adding (in place of eggs) two tablespoons of soy flour mixed with two tablespoons of water.  When that didn't do the trick, I added four tablespoons (two at a time) of milk.  With that, I had actual cookie dough.

I also didn't leave them in for 20 minutes because it seemed like I would have been asking for burnt cookies.  15 minutes was plenty for each tray.  And the thumbprints added before putting the cookies in the oven did not come back as the cookies cooled.  In fact, I tried to re-thumbprint them when the cookies were most of the way cool and actually felt them springing back.  It wasn't the end of the world - you can still top cookies with whatever you wanted to use as thumbprint filling.  In this case, it was just the dulce de leche (fancy talk for caramel if you don't speak Spanish) over about half a teaspoon of chopped walnuts.  The walnuts just seemed more Christmassy than the sea salt.  And seriously, people - designer salt?

As of this post I have no idea how the cookies will be received at work, although if at least one co-worker skipped breakfast, I'm sure they'll all be gone by lunch.  I did taste one of the less attractive ones before adding the dulce de leche, and they're nice and soft.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment